Vienna: Full-Day Vienna Woods Wine Tour
Discover world-class wines, picturesque villages, and wonderfully green landscapes on a farm-to-table Vienna Woods wine tour. With 2 tours to choose from depending on the season, it could see you either hiking though the hills or touring an old winery.
- Travel with a dedicated, English-speaking hiking and wine guide
- Visit local wineries and take part in wine tasting
- Travel for 12 kilometers on a guided hike with 360-degree views over the Vienna Basin (summer tour)
- Discover gorgeous landscapes and unique, indigenous grape varieties and wines
DescriptionLower Austria is the cradle of Austrian viticulture, and this is your chance to visit the area's beautiful forests and vineyards of the Thermal Region, just south of Vienna. Your tour meeting point is Vienna's main railway station, where once you've met your guides you'll board a train southwards for approximately 30 minutes to the heart of the Vienna Woods. Summer (April-October) Your summer tour will begin with a hike in the spa town of Baden, which was once a favorite country retreat of Beethoven. From there you will walk along forest trails towards a magnificent elevated viewpoint overlooking the Vienna Basin in all directions. This spot alone is a photographer's dream, and will be followed by you entering the neighboring vineyards, wandering through row upon row of lush green vines. As a reward, you'll take a break among the vines for an open-air wine tasting at a local producer. Winter (November-March) Your train will bring you directly to the vineyards of one of Austria’s oldest winemaking institutions, steeped in middle-age tradition and history. While there, learn about how the monastic orders became wine pioneers of their time. Sample a glass of local sekt to toast to your arrival in the Austrian wine country. The afternoon segment of both the winter and summer tours will be the same. You will continue to the picturesque wine village of Gumpoldskirchen for lunch at a traditional Austrian wine tavern. From there, your second tasting is led by a local winemaker to whom you can ask questions about how wine is produced and which challenges modern-day vintners face. Your tour later concludes with a short train ride back to the city center, just in time for your evening schedule.
IncludesLive tour commentary provided in English by an Austrian wine expert Wine tastings Vineyard and/or winery visits Round-trip train fare to/from the Vienna Woods 12-kilometer guided forest and vineyard hike (Apr-Oct only) Lunch Gratuities
- Wear comfortable footwear in summer, consisting of either trainers or sturdier hiking shoes
- Please dress according to the weather, and bring a rucksack and drinking water
- While most of the winter itinerary is indoors, there's a gentle 20-minute walk through the vineyards as your move between villages
- This experience requires reasonable weather, if it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance to receive a full refund
Book an Experience
Reserve your experience nowCHECK AVAILABILITY